Back in 2008, Jersey’s DJ K.O. gathered an all-star cast of mainstream heavyweights and underground notables for his debut full-length, Picture This. Fast-forward two years (man, how time flies) and beatsmith Madwreck is busily cooking up the perfect reason to revisit the slept-on set: a brand new remix suite. For his version of the Talib Kweli-fronted Someday, the producer keeps things smooth and soulful, trading the original’s Donnie Hathaway-sampled groove for a somewhat lighter guitar-driven beat and promoting singer Tiffany Paige‘s guest outro to hook status. Kweli’s high-unemployment complaints on the back sound (sadly) just as fresh as they did on the eve of the Obama era, as do Torae‘s pleas for socioeconomic justice on the front and Jersey representative John Robinson‘s middle verse, which finds him griping about pop-up ads in between calls to revolution. Has this tuneful remix persuaded you to Take Another Look at Picture This? Madwreck’s remix suite is out now online, and DJ K.O.‘s original set is, of course, still available for purchase wherever fine hip-hop albums are sold.
Written by richard on 12/21/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started ft. Jadakiss, Talib Kweli & Papoose" (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.