Back in 2008, Jersey’s DJ K.O. gathered an all-star cast of mainstream heavyweights and underground notables for his debut full-length, Picture This. Fast-forward two years (man, how time flies) and beatsmith Madwreck is busily cooking up the perfect reason to revisit the slept-on set: a brand new remix suite. For his version of the Talib Kweli-fronted Someday, the producer keeps things smooth and soulful, trading the original’s Donnie Hathaway-sampled groove for a somewhat lighter guitar-driven beat and promoting singer Tiffany Paige‘s guest outro to hook status. Kweli’s high-unemployment complaints on the back sound (sadly) just as fresh as they did on the eve of the Obama era, as do Torae‘s pleas for socioeconomic justice on the front and Jersey representative John Robinson‘s middle verse, which finds him griping about pop-up ads in between calls to revolution. Has this tuneful remix persuaded you to Take Another Look at Picture This? Madwreck’s remix suite is out now online, and DJ K.O.‘s original set is, of course, still available for purchase wherever fine hip-hop albums are sold.
Written by richard on 12/21/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.