Back in 2008, Jersey’s DJ K.O. gathered an all-star cast of mainstream heavyweights and underground notables for his debut full-length, Picture This. Fast-forward two years (man, how time flies) and beatsmith Madwreck is busily cooking up the perfect reason to revisit the slept-on set: a brand new remix suite. For his version of the Talib Kweli-fronted Someday, the producer keeps things smooth and soulful, trading the original’s Donnie Hathaway-sampled groove for a somewhat lighter guitar-driven beat and promoting singer Tiffany Paige‘s guest outro to hook status. Kweli’s high-unemployment complaints on the back sound (sadly) just as fresh as they did on the eve of the Obama era, as do Torae‘s pleas for socioeconomic justice on the front and Jersey representative John Robinson‘s middle verse, which finds him griping about pop-up ads in between calls to revolution. Has this tuneful remix persuaded you to Take Another Look at Picture This? Madwreck’s remix suite is out now online, and DJ K.O.‘s original set is, of course, still available for purchase wherever fine hip-hop albums are sold.
Written by richard on 12/21/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)