When the esteemed Talib Kweli dropped his spine-cracking single I’m on One way, way back in January (ok, not that way back) the aggressive cut was largely met with praise from DJBooth Nation. With a start like that a remix couldn’t be far behind, and sure enough today Kweli crosses the Mason-Dixon line to recruit the rhyme talents of G.O.O.D. Music representative CyHi Da Prynce. Talib’s punchline heavy flows are the same here, as is Khrysis’ hypnotically banging beat, so the real story here is Cy, who continues to build on impressively growing catalog of verses that touch on everything from the ladies’ seemingly boundless love for him to Herman Melville’s opus: “Now I’m doin’ well (whale) / all these diamonds on my Moby Dick.” Do I even have to ask the inevitable question? Actually, I think I do. Which version would you rather get on, the original or the remix? Either way, you’ll want to pick up a copy of Kweli’s new album, Gutter Rainbows, out now, and the Northern Lights x Southern Smoke mixtape, hosted by DJ Smallz and coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/9/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.