When I hear the phrase “Turnt Up,” I think of Southern rappers dropping ig’nant rhymes over jackhammer beats. I most definitely do not think of Talib Kweli. Far as the Brooklyn vet’s latest single might be from your average trunk banger, I have to admit it sounds pretty damn dope when played at ear-splitting volume. (Sorry, neighbors.) Of course, this cut isn’t just a dope excuse to blow out speakers and violate noise ordinances; it’s also a showcase for Kweli’s skills as a lyricist. Over Trend‘s sample-driven production, the artist delivers tightly-wound verses laced with references to Eric B. and Rakim‘s classic Paid in Full. The record comes complete with official visuals directed by Talib himself, in conjunction with Kenzi Sonoda. Feeling it? You can find Turnt Up and much more on his Prisoner of Conscious LP, available in stores and online as of May.
Written by richard on 09/24/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started ft. Jadakiss, Talib Kweli & Papoose" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.