With a few notable exceptions, success in the music game never comes easy. As such, the deciding factor in who triumphs and who falls by the wayside isn’t skills or charisma (though those things most definitely help), but the ability to Push Thru the obstacles in your path without losing the will to soldier on. Presented here in its new, officially remixed form, the lead single off Talib Kweli‘s forthcoming full-length is all about staying on your hustle when the going gets tough. Over NYC underground beatsmith Marco Polo‘s quietly intense street boardwork (replacing S1‘s original production), Kweli, Curren$y and Kendrick Lamar reflect on their personal brushes with adversity, while touching on the geopolitical and socioeconomic aspects of the struggle. Featuring the album version of this record and much more, Prisoner of Consciousness is scheduled to drop April 23. In the meantime, why not check out the latest Booth-exclusive Re-Produced EP, based around Kweli’s Fly Away?
Written by richard on 01/21/13
I don’t know if I’d be writing this if it wasn’t for Talib Kweli. I liked hip-hop before I heard Black Star, but that album helped me fall in love with hip-hop, and before I knew it, I had memorized every word of Black...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started ft. Jadakiss, Talib Kweli & Papoose" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.