“If skills sold, truth be told, I’d probably be, lyrically, Talib Kweli…,” stated the God MC, Jay-Z, back in 2003. But for all their difference, Jay and Kweli have both achieved one of the hardest feats in rap – longevity. Year after year, album after album, Talib continues to churn out quality music like today’s new featured record I’m On One, a track that knocks your teeth in and is as gully as Jimmy Darmody from Boardwalk Empire. (Yes, that gully.) Produced by Khrysis, On One is an aggressively hitting hard cut that also actually provides some old-school insight, flipping a Beastie Boy track for Talib to run on like those OK GO music videos. Or should I say “run over”, as the man takes well earned shots at anyone found disgracing the culture he helped create. If you’re looking to get on along with Kweli you’re in luck. His new album, Gutter Rainbows, drops digitally on January 25, and he’s got a DJBooth In the Mix interview on the way. Keep it locked.
Listen to More: Talib Kweli Written by Ivan Ibarra
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started ft. Jadakiss, Talib Kweli & Papoose" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.