“If skills sold, truth be told, I’d probably be, lyrically, Talib Kweli…,” stated the God MC, Jay-Z, back in 2003. But for all their difference, Jay and Kweli have both achieved one of the hardest feats in rap – longevity. Year after year, album after album, Talib continues to churn out quality music like today’s new featured record I’m On One, a track that knocks your teeth in and is as gully as Jimmy Darmody from Boardwalk Empire. (Yes, that gully.) Produced by Khrysis, On One is an aggressively hitting hard cut that also actually provides some old-school insight, flipping a Beastie Boy track for Talib to run on like those OK GO music videos. Or should I say “run over”, as the man takes well earned shots at anyone found disgracing the culture he helped create. If you’re looking to get on along with Kweli you’re in luck. His new album, Gutter Rainbows, drops digitally on January 25, and he’s got a DJBooth In the Mix interview on the way. Keep it locked.
Listen to More: Talib Kweli
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 01/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started ft. Jadakiss, Talib Kweli & Papoose" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.