Few artists can stay loyal to their core street audience, while also appealing to the commercially viable demographic that record companies strive to hit. Talib Kweli is among the few. An example of such is his new single Hot Thing, off the up-coming Eardrum album (which drops July 31st.) Somehow the single allows Kweli to be himself, a conscious lyricist with amazing diction, and the artist who knows what is needed for mainstream success (a catchy chorus and solid production.) Will.I.Am of Black Eyed Peas fame offers a head-nodding low-key beat, perfect for an artist like Kweli who never allows his producer to upstage the ‘hot thing.’
Written by DJ Z on 06/29/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.