Few artists can stay loyal to their core street audience, while also appealing to the commercially viable demographic that record companies strive to hit. Talib Kweli is among the few. An example of such is his new single Hot Thing, off the up-coming Eardrum album (which drops July 31st.) Somehow the single allows Kweli to be himself, a conscious lyricist with amazing diction, and the artist who knows what is needed for mainstream success (a catchy chorus and solid production.) Will.I.Am of Black Eyed Peas fame offers a head-nodding low-key beat, perfect for an artist like Kweli who never allows his producer to upstage the ‘hot thing.’
Written by DJ Z on 06/29/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.