We live in the age of the distraction. You can’t even get through a Tweet without being texted, poked and dialed. But if we’re willing to slow down just a little bit we can find some beauty resting right under our noses, or in this case ears. Putting that admittedly forced analogy aside, the always unshakable Talib Kweli returns to The DJBooth with new single Distractions, an unabashedly complex and aggressive slap in the face of consumerism. Producer Oh No puts together an almost indescribable beat, blending classical harpsichords with boom bap percussion and horror film sound effects. It’s a blend that would overwhelm most emcees, but completely unsurprisingly Kweli more than capably handles his lyrical business in verses that blast shots at the myriad of false idols the media worships. Fans hungry for more from Kweli can expect to be stuffed with new hip-hop from the man in 2012. We’ll (hopefully) be digging into a new Black Star album in 2012, and we can definitely spend some time digesting Kweli’s upcoming solo album Prisoner of Conscious, due out next year, as well as snacking on Distraction’s video this coming Monday, December 19.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/15/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started ft. Jadakiss, Talib Kweli & Papoose" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.