We live in the age of the distraction. You can’t even get through a Tweet without being texted, poked and dialed. But if we’re willing to slow down just a little bit we can find some beauty resting right under our noses, or in this case ears. Putting that admittedly forced analogy aside, the always unshakable Talib Kweli returns to The DJBooth with new single Distractions, an unabashedly complex and aggressive slap in the face of consumerism. Producer Oh No puts together an almost indescribable beat, blending classical harpsichords with boom bap percussion and horror film sound effects. It’s a blend that would overwhelm most emcees, but completely unsurprisingly Kweli more than capably handles his lyrical business in verses that blast shots at the myriad of false idols the media worships. Fans hungry for more from Kweli can expect to be stuffed with new hip-hop from the man in 2012. We’ll (hopefully) be digging into a new Black Star album in 2012, and we can definitely spend some time digesting Kweli’s upcoming solo album Prisoner of Conscious, due out next year, as well as snacking on Distraction’s video this coming Monday, December 19.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.