Talk about great timing. Fresh off dropping one of the best verses in Good Friday history on Chain Heavy – in my not-so-humble-opinion – Talib Kweli has now dropped a new single off his own upcoming album, the nothing but high
kwelity Cold Rain. Although those who only know him from 24 Hour Karate School may think he’s new to the game, producer Ski Beatz has been crafting intricately constructed beats like the piano-soul meets boom-bap Cold Rain for years; as Talib says in the intro, their collaboration has been a long time coming. On the mic the legendary Blackstar emcee responds with a slowly delivered but unshakable flow, delivering line after line of uncompromising lyricism: “You take away the freedoms that we’ve been fighting to gain / then you disrespect the soldiers you askin to die in vain.” As always, Talib’s vocals are not for the faint of heart or weak of mind, so be prepared before you press play. In the mood for some more upliftingly deep and dope music from Kweli? Be sure to kick off 2011 right and pick up his forthcoming album Gutter Rainbows on January 25.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/17/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)