Talk about great timing. Fresh off dropping one of the best verses in Good Friday history on Chain Heavy – in my not-so-humble-opinion – Talib Kweli has now dropped a new single off his own upcoming album, the nothing but high
kwelity Cold Rain. Although those who only know him from 24 Hour Karate School may think he’s new to the game, producer Ski Beatz has been crafting intricately constructed beats like the piano-soul meets boom-bap Cold Rain for years; as Talib says in the intro, their collaboration has been a long time coming. On the mic the legendary Blackstar emcee responds with a slowly delivered but unshakable flow, delivering line after line of uncompromising lyricism: “You take away the freedoms that we’ve been fighting to gain / then you disrespect the soldiers you askin to die in vain.” As always, Talib’s vocals are not for the faint of heart or weak of mind, so be prepared before you press play. In the mood for some more upliftingly deep and dope music from Kweli? Be sure to kick off 2011 right and pick up his forthcoming album Gutter Rainbows on January 25.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/17/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.