Remember those old Gatorade commercials where female soccer star Mia Hamm would compete against Michael Jordan, while the song “Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)” played in the background? Consider Art Imitates Life, a new promo single from Talib Kweli, as hip-hop’s version of that exact commercial. On the cut, released to iTunes on Friday, Kweli, Black Thought and Rah Digga, three established, well-respected veterans, square off against one another, looking to body the vintage Oh No production. Rounding out the record is Digga, who takes a much more aggressive tone than the two gentlemen, and with lines like, “Ice-T gave ya cliff notes/I ain’t gotta dumb it down cause I read the book, made the movie and I edit this” she might have just pulled a Hamm and upstaged her friendly competition. Art Imitates Life is not slotted to appear on Prisoner Of Conscious, Talib’s forthcoming album, set for release this spring, but if you need more from the BK mainstay, take a peek at the Fly Away (Re-Produced) EP available for free download via DJBooth.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/13/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started ft. Jadakiss, Talib Kweli & Papoose" (2006)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.