Remember those old Gatorade commercials where female soccer star Mia Hamm would compete against Michael Jordan, while the song “Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)” played in the background? Consider Art Imitates Life, a new promo single from Talib Kweli, as hip-hop’s version of that exact commercial. On the cut, released to iTunes on Friday, Kweli, Black Thought and Rah Digga, three established, well-respected veterans, square off against one another, looking to body the vintage Oh No production. Rounding out the record is Digga, who takes a much more aggressive tone than the two gentlemen, and with lines like, “Ice-T gave ya cliff notes/I ain’t gotta dumb it down cause I read the book, made the movie and I edit this” she might have just pulled a Hamm and upstaged her friendly competition. Art Imitates Life is not slotted to appear on Prisoner Of Conscious, Talib’s forthcoming album, set for release this spring, but if you need more from the BK mainstay, take a peek at the Fly Away (Re-Produced) EP available for free download via DJBooth.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/13/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.