Remember those old Gatorade commercials where female soccer star Mia Hamm would compete against Michael Jordan, while the song “Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)” played in the background? Consider Art Imitates Life, a new promo single from Talib Kweli, as hip-hop’s version of that exact commercial. On the cut, released to iTunes on Friday, Kweli, Black Thought and Rah Digga, three established, well-respected veterans, square off against one another, looking to body the vintage Oh No production. Rounding out the record is Digga, who takes a much more aggressive tone than the two gentlemen, and with lines like, “Ice-T gave ya cliff notes/I ain’t gotta dumb it down cause I read the book, made the movie and I edit this” she might have just pulled a Hamm and upstaged her friendly competition. Art Imitates Life is not slotted to appear on Prisoner Of Conscious, Talib’s forthcoming album, set for release this spring, but if you need more from the BK mainstay, take a peek at the Fly Away (Re-Produced) EP available for free download via DJBooth.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started ft. Jadakiss, Talib Kweli & Papoose" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.