Remember those old Gatorade commercials where female soccer star Mia Hamm would compete against Michael Jordan, while the song “Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)” played in the background? Consider Art Imitates Life, a new promo single from Talib Kweli, as hip-hop’s version of that exact commercial. On the cut, released to iTunes on Friday, Kweli, Black Thought and Rah Digga, three established, well-respected veterans, square off against one another, looking to body the vintage Oh No production. Rounding out the record is Digga, who takes a much more aggressive tone than the two gentlemen, and with lines like, “Ice-T gave ya cliff notes/I ain’t gotta dumb it down cause I read the book, made the movie and I edit this” she might have just pulled a Hamm and upstaged her friendly competition. Art Imitates Life is not slotted to appear on Prisoner Of Conscious, Talib’s forthcoming album, set for release this spring, but if you need more from the BK mainstay, take a peek at the Fly Away (Re-Produced) EP available for free download via DJBooth.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/13/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.