I remember the first time I heard Talib Kweli. It was my freshman year of high school, and as my mom would drive me to school I’d insist on listening to Get By over and over again. After maturing (a little) I’ve grown to appreciate Kweli’s music even more, including today’s mixtape leak, 1st Time, featuring G.O.O.D. Music’s Consequence. Appearing on YearOfTheBlacksmith’s Community Mixtape, 1st Time’s sample will sound familiar to hip-hop heads - it shares the same Marvin Gaye sample as Jay-Z’s American Dreamin – and the soulful William Diggs production provides the sonic outline for Talib to lyrically paint his canvas, creating a collage of sounds as Gaye’s vocals linger in the background. Consequence jumps in to provide a frankly flat chorus, but this is record is still nothing but Kwelity. Community will consist of tracks submitted by artists and fans, coming together to create a roughly 20 track project, which sounds like either an incredible or terrible idea. We’ll just have to wait until an unspecified date to find out if Talib’s got a dud or a masterpiece in the works.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 10/31/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where It All Started" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.