Most artists are products of their environments, and make music that follows regional trends. But what do you get when a native of the African nation of Togo splits his time between Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.? How about emcee tabi Bonney, who is completely different from anything you’ve ever heard. On his new street single, Rich Kids, tabi adds a little reggae into his rhymes, spitting lyrical gems like “I get money like a schoolyard bully.” Produced by North Carolina natives Ski (best known for his work on Jay-Z‘s classic debut, Reasonable Doubt), and Apple Juice Kid (see Clocks in ATL), Rich Kids should get a positive response from anyone who enjoys laid-back lyricism. tabi’s new EP, dope, is set to be released on Inauguration Day (January 20).
Written by Burmy on 12/2/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Reach For The Sky ft. Tabi Bonney & Haziq Ali" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: DMX Loses His Shit (In a Good Way), Droog Still Isn’t Nas
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.