Most artists are products of their environments, and make music that follows regional trends. But what do you get when a native of the African nation of Togo splits his time between Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.? How about emcee tabi Bonney, who is completely different from anything you’ve ever heard. On his new street single, Rich Kids, tabi adds a little reggae into his rhymes, spitting lyrical gems like “I get money like a schoolyard bully.” Produced by North Carolina natives Ski (best known for his work on Jay-Z‘s classic debut, Reasonable Doubt), and Apple Juice Kid (see Clocks in ATL), Rich Kids should get a positive response from anyone who enjoys laid-back lyricism. tabi’s new EP, dope, is set to be released on Inauguration Day (January 20).
Written by Burmy on 12/2/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Reach For The Sky ft. Tabi Bonney & Haziq Ali" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.