All too often, the things we expect to last forever disappear in the blink of an eye—you know, romantic affairs, MURS’ dreads (I know, I’m mourning their loss, too) and the like. In contrast, a personal relationship with music is something you can carry with you till the end of time. On joint album inclusion Hip Hop & Love, the aforementioned L.A. mainstay and DMV repper tabi Bonney come together to reminisce about their respective love affairs with hot beats and rhymes. Ski Beatz keeps it chill behind the boards, serving up a smooth and breezy synth-bass groove as the emcees lace the beat with one classic reference after another; Bonney namedrops Tribe Called Quest, MC Lyte and Jill Scott on the front, and MURS casts an even wider net on the back, harking back to Public Enemy’s heyday and revisiting cozy nights spent watching 2002 Taye Diggs film Brown Sugar. If you enjoyed this musical trip down Memory Lane, there’s plenty more on the way: new albums from tabi (The Summer Years) and MURS (Love and Rockets) are coming this fall via Dame Dash‘s new DD172/BluRoc label, and fans will be able to catch both on the latter’s Love and Rockets tour, starting Sept. 27.
Written by richard on 08/3/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rich Kids" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)