All too often, the things we expect to last forever disappear in the blink of an eye—you know, romantic affairs, MURS’ dreads (I know, I’m mourning their loss, too) and the like. In contrast, a personal relationship with music is something you can carry with you till the end of time. On joint album inclusion Hip Hop & Love, the aforementioned L.A. mainstay and DMV repper tabi Bonney come together to reminisce about their respective love affairs with hot beats and rhymes. Ski Beatz keeps it chill behind the boards, serving up a smooth and breezy synth-bass groove as the emcees lace the beat with one classic reference after another; Bonney namedrops Tribe Called Quest, MC Lyte and Jill Scott on the front, and MURS casts an even wider net on the back, harking back to Public Enemy’s heyday and revisiting cozy nights spent watching 2002 Taye Diggs film Brown Sugar. If you enjoyed this musical trip down Memory Lane, there’s plenty more on the way: new albums from tabi (The Summer Years) and MURS (Love and Rockets) are coming this fall via Dame Dash‘s new DD172/BluRoc label, and fans will be able to catch both on the latter’s Love and Rockets tour, starting Sept. 27.
Written by richard on 08/3/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rich Kids" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)