The last time we heard from tabi Bonney he was floating up on a Castle on a Cloud, but today’s selection finds him returning solidly to Earth alongside two hip-hop legends. New release Chop, Chop finds frequent production provider Ski Beatz taking a quick trip to the islands, layering a steel drum melody over some straight hip-hip drum patterns like only Mr. Beatz can. Opening the lyrical festivities over this eclectic beat is Yasiin Bey (better known by his previous name Mos Def), who delivers a relaxed and deceptively dope verse that will have serious heads hitting rewind and busting out their notebook. Impressively, Bonney holds his own next to Bey, laying down some legitimate lyricism of his own: “Educated moves, took the time and meditated / trappers on the block always only barely make it.” Chop Chop and much more can be found on tabi’s upcoming free album The Endless Summer, due to hit the interwebs this coming Thursday, May 17. In the meantime, fans of the DMV can check out the project’s previous releases right here on The DJBooth.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/14/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rich Kids" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.