To prime the masses for the release of his fourth studio album rEVOLVEr, T-Pain is dropping an aptly-named 30-track mixtape, prEVOLVEr, and leaking the new single You Copying Me. In 2005, a young Teddy emerged onto the music scene from Tallahassee, FL. armed with little more than a humble affinity for dancers of the “exotic” variety and a knack for storytelling. Suffice to say, things really took off from there, and before you could say “AutoTune” he was collaborating with Kanye West and winning Grammys. Kids these days, I tell you. Fast forward to the present day: Tallahassee Pain’s influence on pop, hip hop and R&B is undeniable, and he wants his due recognition. On the noisy, bouncy, Radio Disney-ready Copying, produced by Tha Bizness, T-Pain chronicles his modest beginnings and brazenly acknowledges that now he has “everybody copyin’ me.” He has no qualms about taking responsibility for being the culprit behind the AutoTune movement that has our radios sounding like they’ve been taken over by singing robots. Whether that movement is something that should be revered is up in the air, but its ubiquity is nothing to be taken lightly. As stated earlier, prEVOLVEr drops “very soon” and as always, DJBooth will keep you up to date on any developments.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 05/3/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"On Bail" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.