T-Pain is not usually one for subtlety – you don’t have to wonder what songs like Reverse Cowgirl or Buy You a Drink are about – but I’ll admit that for a moment he had me fooled on his new single Rap Song. Ok, I thought, instead of his usual tales of f**king we’re going to get a straight up hip-hop banger. Nope. Turns out Rap Song is a rap song about f**king while a rap song plays in the background. Follow that? Let me explain. While producer Young Frye handles the snapping, piano-laced, minimal beat, T-Pain does what he’s been doing for over five years now, singing about getting down in the bedroom with auto-tuned vocals and frequently hilarious lyrics. In fact, Teddy Pain leaves the rapping entirely to the Teflon Don Rick Ross, who, well, does exactly what he does best by delivering a slow-paced, luxury life focused guest verse. The song’s title aside, everyone here does exactly what you’d expect, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Will T-Pain’s currently unscheduled album RevolveR actually contain any rap songs? We’ll have to wait to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/31/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"On Bail ft. Game, Daz & T-Pain" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.