T-Pain is not usually one for subtlety – you don’t have to wonder what songs like Reverse Cowgirl or Buy You a Drink are about – but I’ll admit that for a moment he had me fooled on his new single Rap Song. Ok, I thought, instead of his usual tales of f**king we’re going to get a straight up hip-hop banger. Nope. Turns out Rap Song is a rap song about f**king while a rap song plays in the background. Follow that? Let me explain. While producer Young Frye handles the snapping, piano-laced, minimal beat, T-Pain does what he’s been doing for over five years now, singing about getting down in the bedroom with auto-tuned vocals and frequently hilarious lyrics. In fact, Teddy Pain leaves the rapping entirely to the Teflon Don Rick Ross, who, well, does exactly what he does best by delivering a slow-paced, luxury life focused guest verse. The song’s title aside, everyone here does exactly what you’d expect, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Will T-Pain’s currently unscheduled album RevolveR actually contain any rap songs? We’ll have to wait to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/31/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.