Ladies and gentlemen, I never thought I’d use the name “T-Pain” in the same sentence as the phrase “hidden depths,” (unless I happened to join the Nappy Boy general on a thrilling cave expedition—hey, a man can dream.), but here I am. On the latest single off his long-awaited senior set, Faheed Rasheed Najm showcases a side of his artistic persona that may surprise those who know him primarily as a top-hatted purveyor of lecherous, Autotune-drenched strip-club anthems. Downing Again finds Pain departing from his usual on both sides of the boards, crafting a sparse, piano-led backdrop for vocals bereft of obvious studio effects. In addition to baring all on the mic, Pain digs deeper than usual lyrically, employing aquatic imagery reminiscent of that used on Frank Ocean‘s similarly moody Swim Good: “When I’m deceased I hope you will be / Dying next to me, in my watery grave.” How about it, readers—are you digging the latest stage in the pop heavyweight’s musical evolution? Then mark your calenders for the Dec. 6, release of rEVOLVEr via RCA Records, as well as clicking here to peep the record’s official video (conceptualized, directed and edited by the artist himself).
Written by richard on 10/25/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"On Bail ft. Game, Daz & T-Pain" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.