Ladies and gentlemen, I never thought I’d use the name “T-Pain” in the same sentence as the phrase “hidden depths,” (unless I happened to join the Nappy Boy general on a thrilling cave expedition—hey, a man can dream.), but here I am. On the latest single off his long-awaited senior set, Faheed Rasheed Najm showcases a side of his artistic persona that may surprise those who know him primarily as a top-hatted purveyor of lecherous, Autotune-drenched strip-club anthems. Downing Again finds Pain departing from his usual on both sides of the boards, crafting a sparse, piano-led backdrop for vocals bereft of obvious studio effects. In addition to baring all on the mic, Pain digs deeper than usual lyrically, employing aquatic imagery reminiscent of that used on Frank Ocean‘s similarly moody Swim Good: “When I’m deceased I hope you will be / Dying next to me, in my watery grave.” How about it, readers—are you digging the latest stage in the pop heavyweight’s musical evolution? Then mark your calenders for the Dec. 6, release of rEVOLVEr via RCA Records, as well as clicking here to peep the record’s official video (conceptualized, directed and edited by the artist himself).
Written by richard on 10/25/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"On Bail ft. Game, Daz & T-Pain" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.