Ladies and gentlemen, I never thought I’d use the name “T-Pain” in the same sentence as the phrase “hidden depths,” (unless I happened to join the Nappy Boy general on a thrilling cave expedition—hey, a man can dream.), but here I am. On the latest single off his long-awaited senior set, Faheed Rasheed Najm showcases a side of his artistic persona that may surprise those who know him primarily as a top-hatted purveyor of lecherous, Autotune-drenched strip-club anthems. Downing Again finds Pain departing from his usual on both sides of the boards, crafting a sparse, piano-led backdrop for vocals bereft of obvious studio effects. In addition to baring all on the mic, Pain digs deeper than usual lyrically, employing aquatic imagery reminiscent of that used on Frank Ocean‘s similarly moody Swim Good: “When I’m deceased I hope you will be / Dying next to me, in my watery grave.” How about it, readers—are you digging the latest stage in the pop heavyweight’s musical evolution? Then mark your calenders for the Dec. 6, release of rEVOLVEr via RCA Records, as well as clicking here to peep the record’s official video (conceptualized, directed and edited by the artist himself).
Written by richard on 10/25/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"On Bail ft. Game, Daz & T-Pain" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.