On his recent debut feature, T. Gaines boldly proclaimed that, as far as mic skills are concerned, he’s Better Than Hova. But that’s not all; the Chicago repper can also Fake Sing with the best of ‘em. (And when he does so, you’d do well to cover your girl’s ears.) A tongue-in-cheek send-up of the increasing overlap between rap and R&B/pop, this newly-released mixtape single finds Gaines delivering mellow, melodically-flowed verses over the somnolent electronic production of The Innovatorz crew member DJ. On the chorus, he showcases a pseudo-sung delivery so smooth you just might mistake it for the genuine article. Feeling it? You can expect more fake singing, along with plenty of real rapping, on T. Gaines’s The Groove God mixtape, available now for free download via Audiomack.
Written by richard on 09/13/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.