Unable to Watch this Youtube Video? Click here to play in Soundcloud instead.
Already home to some of the most buzzed-about emcees in the game, Top Dawg Entertainment is apparently fixing to branch out into the R&B arena. The label’s taken on a new “affiliate,” up-and coming songstress SZA. While nothing’s been made official just yet, they’d be wise to write up a contract tout de suite, as Teen Spirit sounds like the work of an artist on the fast track to success. WondaGirl, the 16-year-old beatsmith behind Jay Z‘s Crown, mans the mixing boards on this melancholy cut, layering swirling synths over trap-tinged percussion as the singer addresses rueful lines to a past love. Despite its mournful theme, this joint has an eerie appeal likely to have listeners hitting “repeat.” But enough out of me—are you feeling it? If so, watch our pages for further singles off the TDE signee’s forthcoming Z EP, which has yet to receive a solid drop date.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view SZA’s Fredo Tovar and Scott Fleishman-directed Teen Spirit visual.
Written by richard on 10/11/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.