Unable to Watch this Youtube Video? Click here to play in Soundcloud instead.
Already home to some of the most buzzed-about emcees in the game, Top Dawg Entertainment is apparently fixing to branch out into the R&B arena. The label’s taken on a new “affiliate,” up-and coming songstress SZA. While nothing’s been made official just yet, they’d be wise to write up a contract tout de suite, as Teen Spirit sounds like the work of an artist on the fast track to success. WondaGirl, the 16-year-old beatsmith behind Jay Z‘s Crown, mans the mixing boards on this melancholy cut, layering swirling synths over trap-tinged percussion as the singer addresses rueful lines to a past love. Despite its mournful theme, this joint has an eerie appeal likely to have listeners hitting “repeat.” But enough out of me—are you feeling it? If so, watch our pages for further singles off the TDE signee’s forthcoming Z EP, which has yet to receive a solid drop date.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view SZA’s Fredo Tovar and Scott Fleishman-directed Teen Spirit visual.
Written by richard on 10/11/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)