For most rising artists, securing a guest 16 from an artist as in-demand as Chance the Rapper would be difficult and expensive. With SZA‘s clout and connects, however, it’s Childs Play. While this newly-released single, which comes on the heels of the reader-approved Babylon, (almost) shares its title with that movie about the killer doll, it begins with the singer taking out her aggression on some childhood toys: “Ripping heads off all my Barbie dolls / Toss them to the side, give them convertibles.” Her lyrics only get more complex and allusive from there, as she paints an impressionistic portrait of romantic uncertainty. Chance takes over on the back, lacing Dae One‘s XXYYXX-sampled, languid synth beat with the halting, eccentrically fresh flows we’ve come to know and love. For Child Play and much more, cop SZA’s Z EP when it hits record stores and online retailers April 8 via TDE.
Written by richard on 03/26/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.