For most rising artists, securing a guest 16 from an artist as in-demand as Chance the Rapper would be difficult and expensive. With SZA‘s clout and connects, however, it’s Childs Play. While this newly-released single, which comes on the heels of the reader-approved Babylon, (almost) shares its title with that movie about the killer doll, it begins with the singer taking out her aggression on some childhood toys: “Ripping heads off all my Barbie dolls / Toss them to the side, give them convertibles.” Her lyrics only get more complex and allusive from there, as she paints an impressionistic portrait of romantic uncertainty. Chance takes over on the back, lacing Dae One‘s XXYYXX-sampled, languid synth beat with the halting, eccentrically fresh flows we’ve come to know and love. For Child Play and much more, cop SZA’s Z EP when it hits record stores and online retailers April 8 via TDE.
Written by richard on 03/26/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.