On her last solo feature, a March 2013 single off her S EP, singer/songwriter SZA took us on a trip to the ICE.MOON she visits whenever she feels the need to escape from prying eyes. The TDE signee’s latest feature involves a journey in time as well as space. The destination? Babylon, an ancient Akkadian city whose ruins reside in modern-day Iraq. But this isn’t just a sightseeing trip; the titular metropolis serves as a metaphor for the artist’s relationship with an ex-man, whom she cryptically addresses in her ethereal verses and chorus. Over DJ Dahi‘s moody, atmospheric production, she tells him, “I know you hate me now / I bet you hate me now / Bring on the thorn and crown / Crucify me.” In addition to penning and performing the song, SZA teams up with APLUSFILMZ to direct the official visuals. For Babylon and much more, cop the songstress’s next album, Z, when it drops independently on Tuesday, April 8.
Update: SZA has released a new version of the single, which features her TDE labelmate Kendrick Lamar.
Written by richard on 04/7/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.