On her last solo feature, a March 2013 single off her S EP, singer/songwriter SZA took us on a trip to the ICE.MOON she visits whenever she feels the need to escape from prying eyes. The TDE signee’s latest feature involves a journey in time as well as space. The destination? Babylon, an ancient Akkadian city whose ruins reside in modern-day Iraq. But this isn’t just a sightseeing trip; the titular metropolis serves as a metaphor for the artist’s relationship with an ex-man, whom she cryptically addresses in her ethereal verses and chorus. Over DJ Dahi‘s moody, atmospheric production, she tells him, “I know you hate me now / I bet you hate me now / Bring on the thorn and crown / Crucify me.” In addition to penning and performing the song, SZA teams up with APLUSFILMZ to direct the official visuals. For Babylon and much more, cop the songstress’s next album, Z, when it drops independently on Tuesday, April 8.
Update: SZA has released a new version of the single, which features her TDE labelmate Kendrick Lamar.
Written by richard on 04/7/14
A few years ago, a girl with a free-flowing mound of hair by the name of Solana Rowe was passing out t-shirts to the members of hip-hop’s hottest crew, Top Dawg Entertainment at a Kendrick Lamar concert. As an employee of...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.