On his last feature, late August’s Goin’ Nowhere, Syler assured listeners that he was gonna be a fixture on our pages for the foreseeable future. The NYC rapper/producer’s been quiet for the last month and a half but, true to his word, he never left; he’s simply been lying low, cooking up something special for his friends in the Booth. An exclusive world premiere, mixtape single The Funk is a braggadocio-soaked banger with an infectious throwback vibe. Confidence‘s swaggering sample work backs the indie phenom as he celebrates his own overwhelmingly dope pen game: “I’ve risen to a level where my lyrics leave you tongue-tied / But you don’t get me ‘cause the groove feelin’ just right.” DJ Devastate mans the wheels of steel, sampling his hook from Biggie‘s classic Machine Gun Funk. This is just one of many rewind-worthy jams to be found on Syler’s One Minute to Midnight LP. The project is scheduled for release Tuesday, November 19, but Boothgoers will get a preview of the set the day prior, when it hits our front page for free, full streaming.
Written by richard on 10/23/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dusk Till Dawn" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.