I bet when rocker Joe Cocker was creating the piano part to his single Woman to Woman in 1972 he had no idea it would become one of the most widely recognized samples in the history of…wait for it…hip-hop. Almost 40 years later, Joe Cocker’s legendary piano stabs (that most of us recognize from Tupac’s California Love) have fallen into the hands of super producer Swizz Beatz. On We Keep It Rockin’, Swizz joins an ensemble of East Coasters including Maino, Jim Jones, Jadakiss and Joell Ortiz to celebrate New York City. Over Swizz’ clunky percussion, each rapper welcomes us to the city (not of Compton), with Jada and Ortiz contributing solid verses while Maino and Jim Jones lag behind in mediocre-ville. Not quite sure why Swizzy was allowed anywhere near the mic, but I guess he gets a pass for creating yet another bangin’ interpretation of the classic sample - a bold move by the one-man band man. Sacrilege of a West Coast classic? Maybe. Is Joe Cocker secretly a Cali OG? Most definitely. Stay tuned as Swizz’ weekly Monster Mondays series continues gettin’ by with a little help from his friends.
Written by CourtlandHH on 12/13/10
Monster Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Come N Get Me ft. Cassidy" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.