If I’m being completely honest, and I don’t really know how to be anything but completely honest, I was, um, let’s say “concerned” when I first pressed play on Swizz Beatz’ new joint Y’All Don’t Really Know, which features two formerly great rappers who have (to be completely honest) dropped more than a couple cringe-worthy verses lately, DMX and Busta Rhymes. Crisis averted. I’m happy to announce that not only is this one not bad, it can actually be considered a bit of a comeback. Behind the boards Swizzy drops a hugely militaristic beat that makes up for its lack of complexity in raw power, which is apparently just the thing X needed to spit some of the fiercest rhymes we’ve heard from him since the Ruff Ryder glory days. Feeling similarly inspired is Busta, who puts aside that Arab Money softness in favor of a slow but high-caliber style. Dopeness. After a just-ok start, Swizz’ Monster Mondays series is really picking up steam (see last week’s King Tut). Honestly, I’m anxious to hear what the man drops next week.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/15/10
Submit your Rating
Monster Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Come N Get Me" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.