“He’s the realest in the game,” Swizz Beatz said in a 2009 interview for MTV. “He was never on no jewelry, no cars. X, he’s one artist that I truly know is a real artist.” 2010 was a year of setbacks for DMX, but the Dark Man is back in 2011 with the encouraging Change Is Gonna Come, off of Swizz’s Monster Mondays series. On Change, sampling connoisseur Swizzy flips Sam Cooke’s classic into an upbeat loop while the dog convinces his fans that he’s back. After DMX sings his heart out in the introduction, which sounds eerily similar to a blender being switched to on, he falls right into his trademark bark-flow calling out the impostors in the rap game and hyping us for his comeback: “You know what it is ‘cause you knew what it was / Let a n**ga go, Imma do what it does.” Fittingly, Change shows us a changed DMX; leaving the dog barks out of this one but keeping the tenacious charisma that his fans know and love. Hats off to the newly clean X. Let’s hope that this change is here to stay.
Written by CourtlandHH on 02/7/11
Submit your Rating
Monster Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Come N Get Me ft. Cassidy" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.