Ok, fine. So today’s not technically a Monsta Monday. So we’re a little late jumping on the latest edition of Swizz Beatz’ weekly music series (see last week’s effort DJ Play the Beat). So what? Great music is timeless, and that makes Swizzy’s latest creation semi-timeless. Fresh off inspiring me to compliment him for switching up his production style on Roman’s Revenge, Alicia Keys’ baby daddy is back to his old tricks on his latest creation Bang Bang, looping a percussion section, overlaying some synth lines and shouting a Pharrell Williams-assisted call and response chorus, albeit it more complexly than he did on, say, Gucci Time. On the mic, either I’m getting used to Swizz’ style or he’s getting better, that verse isn’t half bad, and of course G.O.O.D. Music’s new coke slinger Pusha T shows up for two stellar verses, dropping what I have to believe is hip-hop’s first Frogger reference amidst two women and money fueled verses. I don’t know about bang banging, but at the very least I have to hand it to Beatz, this bangs. What lies in store for us next week? Only time will tell.
Monster Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Come N Get Me ft. Cassidy" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.