Ok, fine. So today’s not technically a Monsta Monday. So we’re a little late jumping on the latest edition of Swizz Beatz’ weekly music series (see last week’s effort DJ Play the Beat). So what? Great music is timeless, and that makes Swizzy’s latest creation semi-timeless. Fresh off inspiring me to compliment him for switching up his production style on Roman’s Revenge, Alicia Keys’ baby daddy is back to his old tricks on his latest creation Bang Bang, looping a percussion section, overlaying some synth lines and shouting a Pharrell Williams-assisted call and response chorus, albeit it more complexly than he did on, say, Gucci Time. On the mic, either I’m getting used to Swizz’ style or he’s getting better, that verse isn’t half bad, and of course G.O.O.D. Music’s new coke slinger Pusha T shows up for two stellar verses, dropping what I have to believe is hip-hop’s first Frogger reference amidst two women and money fueled verses. I don’t know about bang banging, but at the very least I have to hand it to Beatz, this bangs. What lies in store for us next week? Only time will tell.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/3/10
Submit your Rating
Monster Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Come N Get Me ft. Cassidy" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.