If I were to draw a Venn diagram with the circles labeled “summer jam” and “breakup song,” the overlap would be mighty small, but that doesn’t mean the two categories are mutually exclusive. With their first Booth feature, Love Is Lost, New Zealand’s Summer Thieves have managed to create an ear-pleasing hybrid of the two. Frontman Jake Barton spends his soulful verses grieving the end of a relationship, but the upbeat, reggae-infused grooves provided by crewmates Adam Spencer, Johnny Ward and Angus Cleland ensure that the cut’s overall mood is light and sunny. Has this loosie piqued your interest? Then keep it locked; Summer Thieves have yet to announce their next project, but we’ll keep you posted on their plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 07/21/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.