If I were to draw a Venn diagram with the circles labeled “summer jam” and “breakup song,” the overlap would be mighty small, but that doesn’t mean the two categories are mutually exclusive. With their first Booth feature, Love Is Lost, New Zealand’s Summer Thieves have managed to create an ear-pleasing hybrid of the two. Frontman Jake Barton spends his soulful verses grieving the end of a relationship, but the upbeat, reggae-infused grooves provided by crewmates Adam Spencer, Johnny Ward and Angus Cleland ensure that the cut’s overall mood is light and sunny. Has this loosie piqued your interest? Then keep it locked; Summer Thieves have yet to announce their next project, but we’ll keep you posted on their plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 07/21/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.