I know what you’re thinking: “Who the f**k would wear a leather vest in the middle of the summer? And, more importantly, who the f**k are Summer Leather Vest?” In answer to the first question… bikers, maybe? As for the second, they’re a collective of artists signed to Paradise Records, a fictional indie label invented by Joe Budden and Emanny. Perhaps more interesting than the convoluted backstory, though, is the side of Budden showcased on the group’s debut promo single, sultry sex jam Unison. Over crewmates Dub P., Parks and Caron‘s butter-smooth synth beat, the normally hard-as-nails/crazy-as-balls Jerseyite takes a page from Drizzy‘s book, lacing the front with soothing sung bars before lapsing into his usual flowed delivery later in the cut. Emanny provides chorus and background support for his Slaughterhouse colleague, as well as taking center stage on the soulful bridge. So, Booth readers, do you like the direction this side-project is headed? And should Budden consider adding the title “singer” to his next batch of business cards? Debate away—and stay tuned for further releases from SLV in the coming weeks.
Written by richard on 11/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.