It’s no secret that brooding and art go hand-in-hand, so Sum-in-1‘s new video single, I Will Not Surrender, featuring live painting of gritty images by Van Saro, is fitting. Brooding not withstanding, make no mistake that Sum-in-1 is no Edgar Allan Poe and Van Saro is no Van Gogh; they both put on powerful displays of defiance, in their respective art forms. Including a painter in the video makes it easy to draw some powerful parallels. Van Saro brings words and ideas to life with his paintbrush without using a single word, while Sum-in-1 paints vivid visuals in the listener’s mind with his verbiage. Producer Kev Da Khemist‘s grimey sound lays the groundwork for a beautiful struggle in which we bear witness to words and brushstrokes playing off each other while telling their own individual stories. If you’re digging this, be sure to take a spin in the Way Back Machine and listen to Sum-in-1’s last DJBooth feature, from January 2012, She Walked On.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 04/10/13
Submit your Rating
Acropolis/Golden State City
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Born Hip Hop" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.