Considering the long lineage of rappers who were almost killed and then dedicated their lives to rap – Kanye, 50, Game, etc. – the best thing to ever happen to Los Angeles based emcee Sum-in-1 might have prove to be the near fatal car accident he emerged from with a renewed commitment to the culture. Given that back story, I’ll pause for a moment to let you consider the implications of a title like Sum’s DJBooth debut, Born Hip Hop. Producer Vherbal distinctly head-nodding beat (featuring cuts by DJ Leviathan) is perfectly measured, and with guest artist Destruct appropriately destroying verse one and Sum rocking the mic well on the back end, I’ve got a feeling we’re in for no shortage of “this is that real ish” comments below. “We born hip-hop and it just don’t stop / and the heart stay pumpin ‘till the casket drop.” I couldn’t have said it better myself. If you were also born, and plan to die, hip-hop, you’ll definitely want to check out a cop the man’s latest album Anywhere, which dropped back in June.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/27/10
Acropolis/Golden State City
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)