Considering the long lineage of rappers who were almost killed and then dedicated their lives to rap – Kanye, 50, Game, etc. – the best thing to ever happen to Los Angeles based emcee Sum-in-1 might have prove to be the near fatal car accident he emerged from with a renewed commitment to the culture. Given that back story, I’ll pause for a moment to let you consider the implications of a title like Sum’s DJBooth debut, Born Hip Hop. Producer Vherbal distinctly head-nodding beat (featuring cuts by DJ Leviathan) is perfectly measured, and with guest artist Destruct appropriately destroying verse one and Sum rocking the mic well on the back end, I’ve got a feeling we’re in for no shortage of “this is that real ish” comments below. “We born hip-hop and it just don’t stop / and the heart stay pumpin ‘till the casket drop.” I couldn’t have said it better myself. If you were also born, and plan to die, hip-hop, you’ll definitely want to check out a cop the man’s latest album Anywhere, which dropped back in June.
Acropolis/Golden State City
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.