Plenty of rappers have tackled the topic of hater-dom, but most keep their trash talk relatively low-concept; Substantial‘s first Booth feature is a decidedly different story. On The W.W.K.Y.A. (We Will Kick Your Ass) Tour, the Baltimore emcee and Extended Famm cohorts Tonedeff, Session and PackFM spin an elaborate road trip/revenge tale which finds them going on tour for the sole purpose of beating up/torturing everyone who’s ever dissed their music – including an arrogant racist, a prepubescent kid and a surprisingly gangsta Bill Gates. The concept gets an easy ‘A+’ for effort and originality, and the execution is no less impressive; Burns’ ominous synth/string/beatbox accompaniment (accented by a few well-placed sound effects) sets the perfect mood for lyrical carnage, and each emcee’s rhymes come fast and furious enough to merit several repeat spins. Not to mention, Tonedeff’s “eight ‘o’clock/ate a c*ck” rhyme is probably the funniest thing I’ve heard all week. For more hot tracks from Substantial and Burns, grab a copy of their aptly-named Substantial/Burns EP, available now from online retailers.
Listen to More: Substantial
Written by richard on 10/21/09
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.