Plenty of rappers have tackled the topic of hater-dom, but most keep their trash talk relatively low-concept; Substantial‘s first Booth feature is a decidedly different story. On The W.W.K.Y.A. (We Will Kick Your Ass) Tour, the Baltimore emcee and Extended Famm cohorts Tonedeff, Session and PackFM spin an elaborate road trip/revenge tale which finds them going on tour for the sole purpose of beating up/torturing everyone who’s ever dissed their music – including an arrogant racist, a prepubescent kid and a surprisingly gangsta Bill Gates. The concept gets an easy ‘A+’ for effort and originality, and the execution is no less impressive; Burns’ ominous synth/string/beatbox accompaniment (accented by a few well-placed sound effects) sets the perfect mood for lyrical carnage, and each emcee’s rhymes come fast and furious enough to merit several repeat spins. Not to mention, Tonedeff’s “eight ‘o’clock/ate a c*ck” rhyme is probably the funniest thing I’ve heard all week. For more hot tracks from Substantial and Burns, grab a copy of their aptly-named Substantial/Burns EP, available now from online retailers.
Written by richard on 10/21/09
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.