To someone just passing through, Substantial‘s home turf might look like any other ‘hood. To the Baltimore rhymesayer, however, those city blocks are the repository of myriad hopes, dreams, struggles and triumphs. On new single See Hear, he sets out to open listeners’ eyes and ears to the sights and sounds surrounding him on the daily—from the hustlers standing on the corners, to the wail of police sirens, to the families fighting to keep food on the table. After painting a vivid portrait of his urban environment, he shifts gears to lace Algorythm‘s soulful sample work with an account of his own artistic awakening. Singer Steph lends her radiant harmonies to the record’s hook. For this record and mcuh more, check out Sub’s Home Is Where the Art Is LP, executive produced by Booth fave Oddisee and available now via Melo Music Group.
Update: Click “Watch Now” or scroll down to view the Ariel “Rel” Nunez-directed See Hear visual.
Written by richard on 12/2/12
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The W.W.K.Y.A. Tour" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.