Back in 2013, while recovering from a preventative surgery for cancer, Baltimore emcee Substantial was inspired to begin work on a tribute to Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Jill Scott, one of his foremost artistic influences. Today, as he heads back to the doctor’s office for a follow-up appointment, he has unveiled a brand new cut off the project. A lyrical fan letter detailing Sub’s ongoing love affair with the R&B vet’s music, Golden Lady finds beatsmith Marcus D drawing samples from Stevie Wonder’s Innervisions inclusion of the same title, as well as Scott’s own Golden (the final song played by Kool Herc at the artist’s wedding). Steph the Sapphic Songstress tops the record off with some smooth hook vocals. Jackin’ Jill has yet to receive a solid drop date, but we’ll keep you supplied with all the latest news and tunes leading up to its arrival.
Written by richard on 03/7/13
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The W.W.K.Y.A. Tour" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.