Back in 2013, while recovering from a preventative surgery for cancer, Baltimore emcee Substantial was inspired to begin work on a tribute to Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Jill Scott, one of his foremost artistic influences. Today, as he heads back to the doctor’s office for a follow-up appointment, he has unveiled a brand new cut off the project. A lyrical fan letter detailing Sub’s ongoing love affair with the R&B vet’s music, Golden Lady finds beatsmith Marcus D drawing samples from Stevie Wonder’s Innervisions inclusion of the same title, as well as Scott’s own Golden (the final song played by Kool Herc at the artist’s wedding). Steph the Sapphic Songstress tops the record off with some smooth hook vocals. Jackin’ Jill has yet to receive a solid drop date, but we’ll keep you supplied with all the latest news and tunes leading up to its arrival.
Written by richard on 03/7/13
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The W.W.K.Y.A. Tour" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.