There’s only one word to properly describe the treatment that awaits those who run afoul of Styles P. and his crew: Harsh. If it’s any consolation, though, you can be sure the D-Block emcee will sound damn smooth while wrecking your sh*t. The latest single off Styles’ fourth solo set is all about contrast; while Phonix keeps it delicate and understated on the production tip, layering tinkling bell arpeggios and warm synth chords over a head-nodding break, the Ghost doesn’t take that as an invitation to walk on eggshells. Instead, he drops rhymes that are as “hostile [and] aggressive” in content as his delivery is nonchalant, throwing in an allusion to the “bathroom scene” from The Godfather to drive the point home. More contrast? You got it—guests Rick Ross and Busta Rhymes assist on the guest tip, the former bringing his trademark bluster on the middle, and the latter stealing the show with a display of untrammeled aggression on the back end. Time to weigh in, readers: does this cut go down like a spoonful of honey, or is it a little, well, Harsh? Those digging it should keep it locked for the latest on Master of Ceremonies, scheduled for a fall release by D-Block/eOne Music.
Written by richard on 08/17/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"For Real ft. Gerald Levert" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.