There’s only one word to properly describe the treatment that awaits those who run afoul of Styles P. and his crew: Harsh. If it’s any consolation, though, you can be sure the D-Block emcee will sound damn smooth while wrecking your sh*t. The latest single off Styles’ fourth solo set is all about contrast; while Phonix keeps it delicate and understated on the production tip, layering tinkling bell arpeggios and warm synth chords over a head-nodding break, the Ghost doesn’t take that as an invitation to walk on eggshells. Instead, he drops rhymes that are as “hostile [and] aggressive” in content as his delivery is nonchalant, throwing in an allusion to the “bathroom scene” from The Godfather to drive the point home. More contrast? You got it—guests Rick Ross and Busta Rhymes assist on the guest tip, the former bringing his trademark bluster on the middle, and the latter stealing the show with a display of untrammeled aggression on the back end. Time to weigh in, readers: does this cut go down like a spoonful of honey, or is it a little, well, Harsh? Those digging it should keep it locked for the latest on Master of Ceremonies, scheduled for a fall release by D-Block/eOne Music.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"For Real ft. Gerald Levert" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.