Since the release of Run This Town by Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Rihanna, anthem styled tracks similar to the tone of RTT have been popping up around every corner. Most of the tracks that followed couldn’t carry the same weight, however when examining DJBooth Freestyle alum STS (aka Sugar Tongue Slim), fellow Booth freestyler Jon Hope and SPEAKHER creator Nikkiya’s smoothly banging Writings On The Wall you get a layered song full of chopping, intricately woven verses from STS and Hope, a Will Power produced beat that’ll be just as successful in the Midwest as it will be in L.A. or Memphis, and a catchy Nikkiya chorus to tie everything together. Looking more from this powerful trio (might we suggest forming a group?). Writings On The Wall is an iTunes bonus cut from STS’s album The Illustrious, and coincidentally Jon Hope will be performing on the DJBooth stage at this year’s A3C festival in Atlanta. Jay, Kanye and Rihanna can’t stay on top forever, it’s only a matter of time before they’re supplanted by hungrier up-and-coming artists. It’s inevitable, the writing’s on the wall.
Written by JC Poppe on 09/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Funky Ass B*tch" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.