Like a forbidden fruit, the “n-word” exerts a powerful temptation on white hip-hop fans. Those reckless enough to use it inevitably have numerous excuses ready and waiting for anyone who calls them on their careless talk. On new single Why Can’t I Say It, Philly phenom STS uses a personal anecdote about an interaction with a concert attendee to show how threatening the slur can sound, even when used without ill intent. Though he isn’t shy about drawing a line in the sand (“If a n**ga ain’t a n**ga, don’t say n**ga, come on!”), Slim expresses a surprising amount of sympathy with his fan’s position, offering some insightful thoughts on the interaction between race and class. Produced by Khari Mateen, this is just one of many fresh cuts to be found on the artist’s We Can Talk Politics & World Affairs EP, available now on Bandcamp.
Written by richard on 07/16/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Funky Ass B*tch" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Adrian Lau - The Departed
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- Drake - 6 God EP
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.