Like a forbidden fruit, the “n-word” exerts a powerful temptation on white hip-hop fans. Those reckless enough to use it inevitably have numerous excuses ready and waiting for anyone who calls them on their careless talk. On new single Why Can’t I Say It, Philly phenom STS uses a personal anecdote about an interaction with a concert attendee to show how threatening the slur can sound, even when used without ill intent. Though he isn’t shy about drawing a line in the sand (“If a n**ga ain’t a n**ga, don’t say n**ga, come on!”), Slim expresses a surprising amount of sympathy with his fan’s position, offering some insightful thoughts on the interaction between race and class. Produced by Khari Mateen, this is just one of many fresh cuts to be found on the artist’s We Can Talk Politics & World Affairs EP, available now on Bandcamp.
Written by richard on 07/16/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Funky Ass B*tch" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)