Like a forbidden fruit, the “n-word” exerts a powerful temptation on white hip-hop fans. Those reckless enough to use it inevitably have numerous excuses ready and waiting for anyone who calls them on their careless talk. On new single Why Can’t I Say It, Philly phenom STS uses a personal anecdote about an interaction with a concert attendee to show how threatening the slur can sound, even when used without ill intent. Though he isn’t shy about drawing a line in the sand (“If a n**ga ain’t a n**ga, don’t say n**ga, come on!”), Slim expresses a surprising amount of sympathy with his fan’s position, offering some insightful thoughts on the interaction between race and class. Produced by Khari Mateen, this is just one of many fresh cuts to be found on the artist’s We Can Talk Politics & World Affairs EP, available now on Bandcamp.
Written by richard on 07/16/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Funky Ass B*tch" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.