Parachute, STS’ last feature (his first under his slimmed-down stage name) earned largely positive feedback in the Booth, but readers seemed to agree that the track’s chorus was its weak link. Well, looks like the artist may have taken that criticism to heart – on his latest mixtape leak, the emcee formerly known as Sugar Tongue Slim says “F*ck a Hook!” While that statement seems a little odd, coming as it does in the middle of what can only be called the record’s hook, it’s crystal clear that the focus is on STS’ formidable mic skills. Backed by fellow A-town/Philly dual representative Don Cannon‘s mellow beat, sampled from the great J-Hova‘s Encore, the rapper gives his answer to that oft-discussed question: is hip-hop dead? Nah, says STS, it’s just confined to a wheelchair – but bandwagon-jumping novelty acts aren’t doing the genre any favors. Whether or not you agree with his perspective on the industry, it’s hard to argue with the skills and the realness STS showcases here. Demand More 2 is set to hit the ‘net in late March/early April.
Listen to More: STS
Written by richard on 03/21/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Funky Ass B*tch" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.