The beat hits and you immediately pay attention. Part of the Talib Kweli BlackSmith crew, West Coast collective Strong Arm Steady return with Join The Gang, featuring Bay Area repper Mistah F.A.B. and produced by Sid Roams. As you’re vibing out to the beat, you’re almost not ready for the first verse which is “as heavy as Jill Scott.” By the time I reached the hook - “mama when I grow up, I think I’m going to join a gang…” - I was already sold. Between the word play and the beat, the record is a winner and you can’t deny it’s hard hitting nature. The message embedded in the cut also lends some dopeness: “If you take your destiny in your own hands, consistently growing, never taking no for an answer or even asking the question, getting bigger and better with each day that passes you are Strong Arm Steady and should Join the Gang.” I’m ready to Join the Gang. Are you?
Written by ThroatChopU on 05/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Trunk Music" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.