The beat hits and you immediately pay attention. Part of the Talib Kweli BlackSmith crew, West Coast collective Strong Arm Steady return with Join The Gang, featuring Bay Area repper Mistah F.A.B. and produced by Sid Roams. As you’re vibing out to the beat, you’re almost not ready for the first verse which is “as heavy as Jill Scott.” By the time I reached the hook - “mama when I grow up, I think I’m going to join a gang…” - I was already sold. Between the word play and the beat, the record is a winner and you can’t deny it’s hard hitting nature. The message embedded in the cut also lends some dopeness: “If you take your destiny in your own hands, consistently growing, never taking no for an answer or even asking the question, getting bigger and better with each day that passes you are Strong Arm Steady and should Join the Gang.” I’m ready to Join the Gang. Are you?
Written by ThroatChopU on 05/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Trunk Music" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.