The label name Mello Music Group rolls right off the tongue, but I was far from “mellow” after word leaked that (the real) MMG signed a two project deal with legendary emcee Big Pooh (of Little Brother fame). (Back flips are apparently a lot more difficult than they look on television; learn from my failures.) To celebrate the partnership, the label and artist have released Juk, for free download, because why put price on quality, charismatic hip-hop? Setting the stage on this substantial effort is Duke Westlake, who cooks up a triumphant beat driven by a super chopped, vibrant sample. Though he is excited to prove he belongs, Big Pooh lets Stik Figa hop on the mic first with a powerful, gravely flow. The Virginia native waits his turn, and then promptly eviscerates the production with his signature, commanding, assertive flow; this is a match made in heaven. Be on the lookout for both MMG/Pooh projects; the first is a collaboration with legendary producer Nottz and will be released this summer.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/31/14
Submit your Rating
For Members Only
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Comeback" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.