The label name Mello Music Group rolls right off the tongue, but I was far from “mellow” after word leaked that (the real) MMG signed a two project deal with legendary emcee Big Pooh (of Little Brother fame). (Back flips are apparently a lot more difficult than they look on television; learn from my failures.) To celebrate the partnership, the label and artist have released Juk, for free download, because why put price on quality, charismatic hip-hop? Setting the stage on this substantial effort is Duke Westlake, who cooks up a triumphant beat driven by a super chopped, vibrant sample. Though he is excited to prove he belongs, Big Pooh lets Stik Figa hop on the mic first with a powerful, gravely flow. The Virginia native waits his turn, and then promptly eviscerates the production with his signature, commanding, assertive flow; this is a match made in heaven. Be on the lookout for both MMG/Pooh projects; the first is a collaboration with legendary producer Nottz and will be released this summer.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/31/14
Submit your Rating
For Members Only
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Comeback" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.