At the beginning of his new record, Whatcha Talkin Bout, Booth newcomer Stik Figa makes his musical lineage clear, spitting, “I’m the best rapper alive/ Fugee rap hasn’t died.” In comparing himself to the Grammy award-winning rap group, the Kansas emcee has positioned himself to step into some very, very big shoes, but the record offers plenty of evidence Stik isn’t simply blowing smoke. The quirky, reggae-flavored beat contributed by Greg Enemy echoes the distinctive way in which the group incorporated Caribbean influences into their instrumentals, and while the emcee’s verses are more self-aggrandizing than socially conscious, I could hear just a bit of Pras Michel in his flow. Whether or not you think the comparison holds water, Whatcha Talkin Bout is a cut that can be enjoyed on its own merits, and should build some anticipation for the spring ‘09 release of his Babylon EP.
Written by richard on 01/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hatin Again" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)