At the beginning of his new record, Whatcha Talkin Bout, Booth newcomer Stik Figa makes his musical lineage clear, spitting, “I’m the best rapper alive/ Fugee rap hasn’t died.” In comparing himself to the Grammy award-winning rap group, the Kansas emcee has positioned himself to step into some very, very big shoes, but the record offers plenty of evidence Stik isn’t simply blowing smoke. The quirky, reggae-flavored beat contributed by Greg Enemy echoes the distinctive way in which the group incorporated Caribbean influences into their instrumentals, and while the emcee’s verses are more self-aggrandizing than socially conscious, I could hear just a bit of Pras Michel in his flow. Whether or not you think the comparison holds water, Whatcha Talkin Bout is a cut that can be enjoyed on its own merits, and should build some anticipation for the spring ‘09 release of his Babylon EP.
Written by richard on 01/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hatin Again" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.