At the beginning of his new record, Whatcha Talkin Bout, Booth newcomer Stik Figa makes his musical lineage clear, spitting, “I’m the best rapper alive/ Fugee rap hasn’t died.” In comparing himself to the Grammy award-winning rap group, the Kansas emcee has positioned himself to step into some very, very big shoes, but the record offers plenty of evidence Stik isn’t simply blowing smoke. The quirky, reggae-flavored beat contributed by Greg Enemy echoes the distinctive way in which the group incorporated Caribbean influences into their instrumentals, and while the emcee’s verses are more self-aggrandizing than socially conscious, I could hear just a bit of Pras Michel in his flow. Whether or not you think the comparison holds water, Whatcha Talkin Bout is a cut that can be enjoyed on its own merits, and should build some anticipation for the spring ‘09 release of his Babylon EP.
Listen to More: Stik Figa
Written by richard on 01/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hatin Again" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.