A technique in which adventurous musicians dismantle electronic devices, add new components and connect circuits in ways that the manufacturers never intended, circuit bending has become a popular way of squeezing crazy new sounds out of old machines. While I don’t know whether Jonny Juliano actually monkeyed with the insides of a Roland TR-808 (Some gear heads would view that as sacrilege) to create the backdrop for Stevie Stone’ latest single, 808 Bendin does feature some of the rawest electronic effects to hit my eardrums in a minute. Here, the heavyweight beatsmith’s skittering percussion and squelching synth-bass pound in the back as the Strange Music emcee smokes, brags and trash-talks his way through gruff, aggressively-flowed verses. Label boss Tech N9ne assists on the guest tip, showcasing his knack for theatrical delivery in an engagingly schizophrenic middle 16. Has this grimy street scorcher earned a spot on your whip playlist? Then you can look forward to more bangers on the Midwestern rhymesayer’s Rollin’ Stone LP, due out June 12, and available for pre-order via Strange Music‘s official site.
Written by richard on 05/21/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait a Minute" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)