A technique in which adventurous musicians dismantle electronic devices, add new components and connect circuits in ways that the manufacturers never intended, circuit bending has become a popular way of squeezing crazy new sounds out of old machines. While I don’t know whether Jonny Juliano actually monkeyed with the insides of a Roland TR-808 (Some gear heads would view that as sacrilege) to create the backdrop for Stevie Stone’ latest single, 808 Bendin does feature some of the rawest electronic effects to hit my eardrums in a minute. Here, the heavyweight beatsmith’s skittering percussion and squelching synth-bass pound in the back as the Strange Music emcee smokes, brags and trash-talks his way through gruff, aggressively-flowed verses. Label boss Tech N9ne assists on the guest tip, showcasing his knack for theatrical delivery in an engagingly schizophrenic middle 16. Has this grimy street scorcher earned a spot on your whip playlist? Then you can look forward to more bangers on the Midwestern rhymesayer’s Rollin’ Stone LP, due out June 12, and available for pre-order via Strange Music‘s official site.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait a Minute" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.