A technique in which adventurous musicians dismantle electronic devices, add new components and connect circuits in ways that the manufacturers never intended, circuit bending has become a popular way of squeezing crazy new sounds out of old machines. While I don’t know whether Jonny Juliano actually monkeyed with the insides of a Roland TR-808 (Some gear heads would view that as sacrilege) to create the backdrop for Stevie Stone’ latest single, 808 Bendin does feature some of the rawest electronic effects to hit my eardrums in a minute. Here, the heavyweight beatsmith’s skittering percussion and squelching synth-bass pound in the back as the Strange Music emcee smokes, brags and trash-talks his way through gruff, aggressively-flowed verses. Label boss Tech N9ne assists on the guest tip, showcasing his knack for theatrical delivery in an engagingly schizophrenic middle 16. Has this grimy street scorcher earned a spot on your whip playlist? Then you can look forward to more bangers on the Midwestern rhymesayer’s Rollin’ Stone LP, due out June 12, and available for pre-order via Strange Music‘s official site.
Written by richard on 05/21/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait a Minute" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.