A technique in which adventurous musicians dismantle electronic devices, add new components and connect circuits in ways that the manufacturers never intended, circuit bending has become a popular way of squeezing crazy new sounds out of old machines. While I don’t know whether Jonny Juliano actually monkeyed with the insides of a Roland TR-808 (Some gear heads would view that as sacrilege) to create the backdrop for Stevie Stone’ latest single, 808 Bendin does feature some of the rawest electronic effects to hit my eardrums in a minute. Here, the heavyweight beatsmith’s skittering percussion and squelching synth-bass pound in the back as the Strange Music emcee smokes, brags and trash-talks his way through gruff, aggressively-flowed verses. Label boss Tech N9ne assists on the guest tip, showcasing his knack for theatrical delivery in an engagingly schizophrenic middle 16. Has this grimy street scorcher earned a spot on your whip playlist? Then you can look forward to more bangers on the Midwestern rhymesayer’s Rollin’ Stone LP, due out June 12, and available for pre-order via Strange Music‘s official site.
Written by richard on 05/21/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait a Minute" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.