It goes without saying that an emcee who calls himself Steve Liriks is serious about his pen game but, as is often the case, the name only tells part of the story. In addition to doing beautiful things with the written word, the Californian up-and-comer boasts a strong singing voice and a progressive pop sensibility – both of which he showcases on his first Booth feature. Bearing absolutely no relation to Coldplay’s hit of the same name, mixtape standout Fix You instead sees producer Jobe drawing upon electronic group Télépopmusik’s ‘02 single Breathe. Over the French trio’s alternately dreamy and intense synth textures, Liriks tries to convince a girl who’s scared of love that he’s not out to break her heart: “What I gotta do to prove to you that I’m not like dudes? / When I say I’m not like they, that sound just so cliché / What I gotta say to you, to make you put the walls down?” Topped off with the artist’s own chilled-out hook vocals, Fix You is just one of many fresh tracks to be found on Liriks’ Lazy Boy Syndrome LP, released in late May and out now online.
Written by richard on 09/17/10
Submit your Rating
Mass Hysteria Werx
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Moment With Liriks" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.